tell me all your secrets

Random-As-Shit Thoughts on a Wednesday

1. Have you guys ever heard that old Meatloaf song that goes “I would do anything for love?” What a lovely song. Very moving. It really pulls on the heart strings, you know?  There’s few things in life that are more special than knowing the person you’re sharing your life with is willing to do anything for your love. It’s all great until the next line of the song, “but I won’t do that.”  Um……… wait. Hold on. What? You’d do anything… but you won’t do that. I mean, does anybody actually know the ONE thing that Meatloaf won’t do for love? Is it wax his hairy nipples? Share his last piece of pineapple pizza? Start wiping his ass back to front? What the hell is it? I.must.know.

(Anyone else suddenly craving meatloaf for dinner?)

2. One of my cats has serious allergy issues and gets “hot spots” on occasion. (Itchy, raw patches that get inflamed. Ick.) She despises wearing a cone, so we tried to get creative and make a sort of “recovery bodysuit” so she didn’t have to wear the dreaded cone of shame. We took an old baby onesie my mother-in-law had and cut some holes and sewed some areas and…  wam!

(And tell me, Sharon. How did that make you feel?)

Look at her proper collar and flower-shaped button. What a classy lady. Alex had never let us put any sort of clothes on our pets prior to this (he always jokes and says it’s animal abuse) so I was a little obsessed over how cute she looked. I totally get you crazy pet owners who put clothes on their pets. Totally get it.

3. Let’s get to know each other by answering the question below. (I love you guys, so, you know. TELL ME ALL YOUR SECRETS.)

If you could only choose one restaurant to eat at for the rest of your life, which would it be?

My answer would probably be Dunkin Donuts. Bagels and cream cheese are my favorite food. And, uh, who says no to endless amounts of coffee and sugary donuts?

1. Here, I thought you wanted ALL my dirty little secrets…like I’m actually in the witless protection program, and slowly regaining all the wits I previously lost. I fully intend to graduate out of the program within the next year…but am considering a ‘relapse’ just because the benefits are so spectacular to quit them.

2. I wouldn’t choose a restaurant. I love to eat home.

In the Metloaf song, the second piece of the song reveals what is that But I Won’t Do That…cheating he wouldn’t, it has been revealed in the song text very well.

Very well?!!! Okay, I must be an idiot. I’ve re-read it and listened to it again after reading your post, and I still don’t think it was very clear haha. I must be losing too many brain cells in my old age. It makes sense now that you say he means cheating, though. That’s a lot less exciting than what I imagined it could be.

3. Grape. This would mean a move back to Shanghai. Such a hardship!
    On two of my recent trips since last time I was there, 2012, (before that ten years earlier) I did try to go, first time they were closed for what turned out to be renovations, the following year not yet open for meals. Their hours must have changed. Last year I was only in Shanghai overnight. On my bucket list is Grape! God forbid if they are only going by name to draw in patrons these days.

Oh! I’ve never been to Shanghai, and I don’t know what Grape is, but I’m assuming it’s amazing. I’d love to go there some day and eat authentic food from there. You know, not the bastardized American version lol.

Honestly, I’m with you on Chili’s. Those hot skillet cookies they have with the half-melted ice cream on top. AMAZING.

4. I just watched the film a man diagnosed with ALS made that chronicled his fight. Stephen Gleason and his wife Michel are featured in a compelling true account that tells of his football career (New Orleans), how they met and married, his diagnosis, her ensuing pregnancy and the birth of their son. I was amazed and overcome by her steadfast care of both Steve and their sons. I can imagine how difficult it was for her to forebear. In the finality, there was no “except that,” despite how worn down she was by the time he finally died. A very real story.

Quiche is gnarly. I’m not a fan of eggs in general, though. Even the thought makes me get a little gaggy. No shopping? Blasphemy!!

5. Anonymous

“Tell me your secrets” she says then asks for a restaurant recommendation. Whew! I thought I was gonna have to confess that I fart and blame it on the dog! I think my local pizza place would be the one place I’d go forever. They also have calzones, fried chicken and, if I’m feeling guilty about all of the above, salad. And cannoli. You gotta have cannoli!

Ohhhh cannolis. YES. Is that really a secret, though? I mean, that’s what dogs are for :D. To take the blame for all the gross stuff in life lol.

I mean, that could mean a lot, though. I might just be losing brain cells in my old age and don’t get things as often as I once did lol.

6. Oh dear. Don’t do restaurants much. Too many food sensitivies – so sad. But when I do venture out, Culvers makes a great salad I like. The cat looks lovely in her allergy outfit. I’m not Meatloaf, but what I won’t do for love is be who I think he wants instead of who I am. Deep.

Ohhh, that was really deep. I actually had to reread it multiple times to figure out exactly what it meant haha. I’ve never been to Culvers, but I do enjoy a good salad/salad bar 😀

7. For me it would be a little French brasserie that I know. Sounds fancy but It’s actually not.

Your kitty looks adorable. And I’m sure she’s a lot more comfortable than if she had to wear a cone. Great solution. 🙂

And the dreaded Meatloaf. Meatloaf the meatloaf is a wonderful comfort food. Meatloaf the person is … well … in need of support? 😉

Thank you! She actually hates the outfit and ended up preferring the cone. Weird, right? She makes no sense lol. Thinking I’m going to make some meatloaf and mashed potatoes soon. The ultimate comfort combo!

8. I hated that song for the longest time because for like 3 fucking decades I didn’t get that part of the lyrics. Meatloaf can fight me on that!

My one restaurant for ever and ever and ever? But I’m a foodie so that’s really hard! I’m also a geek so I have to be logical. I would need one which serves Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch and Dinner. Alcohol is a must.

I’m going to say True Food Kitchen – https://www.truefoodkitchen.com/

Oh snap, you put a lot of thought into your restaurant. I didn’t even think of a restaurant actually selling all three meals haha. I’ve never heard of that restaurant, but the menu looks fresh and yummy. Mmmmm.

9. Jay

A: I’m way too not picky for this question. If I could find somewhere that does a decent vegi burger, I’d be set regardless of life decisions.

FUN FACT: My uncle’s wedding song to his wife was Bat out of Hell.

1. Anonymous

Oh, I hear ya. I don’t normally order veggie burgers, but when I have they’ve been sub-par. I love black bean burgers but they always seem to fall apart. First world problems.

10. The restaurant choice depends on whether I’m paying. If somebody else pays, probably The Inn At Little Washington. I’ve eaten there exactly once, but it was the most incredible meal I’ve ever had.

If I’m paying, it would have to be a buffet. If there were something like a Golden Corral, but with a really good Indian section, and a really good Chinese section, that would be perfect.

Do one of those buffets exist? I mean, I know they have those in big casinos where they have different sections for each region of food, but I’ve never seen one otherwise. Man, those are gooooood. I love buffets 😀

Well, not I feel like I’m missing out on some great intel :D. Thanks for calling me refined. There’s a first for everything lol.

11. Restaurant! Food! Gimme! Well, here in Montreal, it’d have to be Schwartz’s deli, formally known as Schwartz’s Hebrew Delicatessen. Their smoked meat – similar to your pastrami – is sublime! But you have to order it medium fat, never lean. Lean is somewhat too dry. Add fries, dill pickle, and a black cherry soda. MMMM! Then go for a people-watching walk along St. Lawrence Blvd., or what we anglos call “the Main.” You might want to first enjoy a dessert of strawberry sundae at Ripples ice cream shop across from Schwartz’s first, though. If you have any room. And visit my blog post if you like: https://crossedeyesanddottedtees.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/delicious-delis-of-montreal/?wref=tp

Oh man! The mystery! I must know the answer. See if you can recover the memory of your place to eat and let me know 😀

12. We used to live in Germany and there was this amazing place called Badem Kabab. It’s a “mom and pop” place, literally, the owners are a married couple and their son. Absolutely fantastic! I miss it, a lot. 🙁 But if I went with something more local, I’ll say Red Robin. I have a gluten allergy, and they are very accommodating. Never gotten sick and I can eat their fries!

Those little mom and pop/hole in the wall places always seem to be the best, right? mmm. I love Red Robin. Their burgers are actually really good. And their sweet potato fries are AMAZING. I still stand by that they have the best sweet potato fries I’ve ever had.

Is that a frozen pizza/grocery store brand? Or a restaurant? For some reason it hits me as a frozen pizza but I must be thinking about something else lol.

13. Girl, you crack me up! I share your posts with everyone I know so they too can have a laugh!
    Hmmmmm…Meat Loaf. It’s been a long time since I heard that song BUT being the good 70’s kid that I am, I know that the things that he won’t do change with every verse. One is that he won’t forget how she feels right then. One is about running away with her that night. It’s all about not cheating.
    The restaurant! I would love to eat at the Olive Garden. Remember that I have ALS and haven’t been able to eat food for a few years. I want cheesy tomatoe sauce and garlic butter slathered bread and pastapastapasta and crispy vegetables and pies and cakes and pizza and booze and ice cream floats…wait, do they have them? It was a sad day for me when they closed all of the Olive Garden’s in Canada!
    xo

Thank you 😀 That’s awesome to hear. I’m seriously embarrassed about my lack of lyric interpretations hahaha. I NEVER realized that he actually said what he wouldn’t do. Maybe I just never listened close enough? (yeah, I’m going with that to save face.) Wow, Olive Garden is amazing! I didn’t know they closed all of them in Canada. Did it not do well there? Is this another Target situation where that company does SO well here, but completely tanks up in Canada? lol.

1. I don’t really know what happened to the Olive Garden. I suspect that it had too much competition from East Side Mario’s. You know, same all you can eat salad and bread with your pasta. Same but different. Much like Target tanking here. People were pissed that Target took over our Canadian Zellers. Like your American Walmart wasn’t already obliterating it! Too bad really because it would have been nice for Walmart to have some competition. I don’t like East Side Mario’s and would have happily eaten there daily to keep them here! lol

14. lol now I know what I’m making for dinner. I haven’t had meatloaf in ages…

If I could only eat at one restaurant? Ha, that’s easy! A buffet of course! Then I could have different food all the time! ; p

Meno<3

Ooo, nice. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever gone out for Indian food. I really should invest in that. You’ve made me feel like I’m missing out on something great lol

15. Just promise us you won’t go to Dunkin Donuts for bagels and cream cheese — donuts (or doughnuts) only, right???! I mean, seriously, what does Dunkin Donuts know about bagels other than, you know, yeast? Okay, sorry… just a pet peeve of mind when I see national chains sell things they shouldn’t. And btw, did someone actually mention farts in your comments here? Wow, ballsy.

If I could only eat in one restaurant the rest of my life, it would have to be Floriana’s in Washington, DC. It was and probably still is the best neighborhood Italian I’ve ever had (full disclosure: I moved away from DC in 2002, but, hey, what’s 16 years?). A plate of pasta, toss in some garlic and maybe a shrimp or scallop for charity sake, plus a glass of vino… what more do you need from life? I’m Jewish but I could totally eat Italian every day of the week FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. Just, please, don’t eat bagels from a national chain! Fun post, thanks for letting me misbehave. – Marty

Oh, my husband gives me crap about their crappy bagels ALL the time. They really aren’t that good. I always say they should somehow combine Dunkin Donuts for the coffee/donuts and Bruegger’s because their bagels are better. Sadly, I don’t even know of a local bagel place now that I think of it. Maybe I should open one lol. I agree on the Italian food. Sure, I’d probably gain 50 pounds, but the Italian food is so worth it. mmm.

16. I would have to go with a local restaurant, Great American Saloon. There’s great variety on the menu, everything I’ve tried there has been wonderful, their happy hour is amazing and the drinks definitely hit the spot.

17. In Kenya we have food kiosks popularly known as ‘vibandaski’ in slang language. It’s out in the street and close to the roads .Boy , oh boy i’d recommend everyone to have a taste of those because there is nothing like the feeling you get from them especially if you are looking for hotdogs here we simply refer to them as ‘smokies in a bun’ . its a whole bag of deliciousness

18. Omg, what a classy kitty! We have to put the cone on our cat once a month to put the flea treatment on. He slinks along the floor looking all sad.
    My answer is similar to yours. One restaurant? Starbucks… because coffee. And if I get hungry, there’s enough delicious treats there as well.

1. No, that’s good. I mean, you have to go there everyday for the rest of your life! Need to make sure the money hold. 🙂
        But in reference to the song, I didn’t know either, read through the comments, listened to the song again…and only at the VERY end does she sing “sooner or later you’ll be screwing around” and he replies “but I won’t do that.” Wow. One of my life’s mysteries also finally solved!

Right? I never knew. I feel kinda stupid that I never noticed it before. Ooops. At least I’m in good company with that 😀

19. The onesie turned kitty costume is divine. I don’t eat out often so I don’t know that I’ve explored enough restaurants to be able to give you an honest answer to your question. Because such a realistic question like the one you posed, deserves the truth.

20. One of those old shack type places by the sea, the kind with the wooden everything, sand everywhere. I don’t know how long it takes me to tire of seafood, but if I ever did, they got salad, bread, rice pilaf, fries, dessert, alcohol…

I love that you dressed kitty to protect her wounds <3

21. My local independent restaurant that smokes its own ham. Dead pigs are displayed in the freezer presumably to reassure us that is was pig and not armadillo (which apparently tastes like pig).

22. Haven’t been to a restaurant in ages but lately since I am on my own I just keep the pizza coming. It is the poet’s nightmare April Poetry Month and I am doing the challenge 30 poems in 30 days. As the muses keep whispering I lay down tired at night and suddenly inspiration hits and I wake up and I am like Who said that? and so in the wee hours of the morning or really late night however you look at it I am writing poetic lines.

23. If I lived in the USA, the Cheesecake Factory has always sounded like my kind of place. Here in the UK though, I don’t need a restaurant, I just need chips (fries) and a beach. Whatever the weather. Chips will be my last supper. Love your cat with her collar and flower button 😉

24. I was totally against animals in clothes until I got a little life-jacket for my dog (we were going kayaking) -omg she looked so cute – and now of course my baby goats have coats.

Only one restaurant for ever – probably St. John’s Bread and Wine in London – or a fancy Japanese place. Oh no, of course it would be the Blue Rabbit cafe which if I ever get through my to-do list will be opening here in a few weeks on the campsite selling home-grown, home-cooked food – shameless plug – sorry about that 🙂

25. Oh man, that is a toughie. I live in Montreal and we are renowned for our restaurants. I will say, that the flavor of the month is Mexican. There is an authentic local merchant/family run resto in my ‘hood. They barely speak a word of English or French, but these folks can cook. They are super nice and welcoming. No bum’s rush out the door after your meal like most chain restaurants. PS…tell kitty she is awesome sauce in her onesie 😉

26. Hmm, I wanted to tell you what it was that Meatloaf won’t do, but Robert Varga beat me to it 😉

Just one restaurant?? Oh geesh… I’d go with the local Greek restaurant. God their sweet red wine (no kidding!) is SO good! As well as their chocolate soufflés. Just those two… I could live on chocolate and wine for sure.

Now I sound like an overweight alcoholic, probably. Which I would turn into if I were to eat at that restaurant every day :’)

27. No thoughts on the restaurant. However, if I ever tried to put any type of clothing on Eli for any reason, he would KILL me! Of course, I’ve also tried to put a cone on him… with no success whatsoever. lol

It’s hard to cone/dress a cat! Makes recovering from issues so much harder. It’s so stressful. Our cat hates having them on, but we are able to keep things really loose and comfy because she’s so docile/mellow that she never tries to get it off. Silly kitties.

28. Meatloaf won’t wear a rubber catsuit and heels… which I think is very narrow minded of him. 😀

One restaurant for the rest of my life… hmmm… Ronnie’s BBQ Ribs. Huge burgers, a large grill, and racks of ribs with whatever you want on them. Yum.!!