sometimes it’s fun being a lunatic

Once in a while I make it a point to tiptoe outside the edges of my comfort zone and do something I normally wouldn’t. This is painful for me. Oftentimes accompanied by lots of pacing and profuse armpit sweating with an occasional collapse to my knees while screaming WHY, GOD, WHY? Why must I do this?Β Β Okay, I may be over-exaggerating a tiny bit, but I think you get the idea. I do seem to go through extra deodorant during these times, but that could just be a mere coincidence.

Recently Alex and I decided we were going to go to a hockey game. We live pretty close to where the Carolina Hurricanes play, so we figured why not? Tickets are cheap, it’s something to do. Normal people enjoy going to sports games, right? Why not us? I can drink beer, holler like a lunatic, lift up my shirt and rub my belly all over the protective glass around the rink like the best of them. It would be great. Totally fun. Just fantastic.

It was great to be around all the excitement. Flashing lights, music that made people jump out of their seats and wiggle their asses, families that were taking photos with the big furry mascot, piles and piles of fried food and beer. It was a hoppin’ place to be, for sure. Honestly…Β I get it. I get why people love going to sports games and why people shell out buttloads of money for season passes/clubs. There’s so much excitement and fun going on. I, too, am glad we stepped outside of our socially anxious comfort zones and went and tried something new. All those people in the arena reminded me of something very important to me:

Why I stay the hell home.

1. Barbara

We went to a movie for the first time in forever. We were the only two people in the theatre until a woman sat directly in seat in front of us and got on Facebook. I quickly remembered why I don’t people.

Wow lol. In the whole theater she sat right in front of you? People seriously lack common sense. It’s so strange!

2. Blair has no “like” button offered, so I have to reply to this. Love this comment… don’t you just have to wonder about those people who in an empty theater decide to sit RIGHT in front or next to you???! And, yes, the cell phone in a dark space. Lovely. – Marty

1. These people don’t know HOW to be with other people without an intervening digital interface, but SOMEWHERE in their subconscious they must yearn for ACTUAL HUMAN CONTACT. I guess sitting close to a physical being is their way to approximate it.

Ohhh, that would be a good idea. Sure, you’d probably get decked in the face a few times, but worth it, eh? As long as they smell better.

2. I live in Toronto, home of regular hockey losers. Somehow by accident they seem to have a good team this year. Something has to be done about that. I was at a hockey game in maybe 1991…something like that. Leafs were in the playoffs. Even though we’re losers, Toronto is a hockey city. How bout them Leafs, eh. That’s what we say. I admit I do watch a bit of hockey on TV, once the playoffs start and the players are really trying.

I hear ya. I actually enjoy watching hockey. At home on TV, at least. My husband is a big hockey fan. Going to the game is a totally different story though lol. I can imagine there are a lot of crazy hockey fans up in Toronto πŸ˜€

Really? I feel like the people at ComicCon would make for a more comfortable crowd than a sports game. For me, at least. I’m a weirdo, though lol. Hey, at least he caught up on some much-needed sleep πŸ˜‰

Oh man, I feel like I could actually get into WWE. Well, at least laughing at the horrendous acting and silly costumes they wear. Honestly, I’d probably like it a hell of a lot more than hockey lol.

3. haha. I get it. Yesterday I went to a very fun social event. I was very extroverted and danced, played and schmoozed with the best of them. Except I am NOT an extrovert so afterwards, altho I’d enjoyed myself, I was no good for the rest of the day!!

1. It actually does have, hence the name of this great mental state when we irk “normal” people the hell out. It’s coming from the full moon state which has effects on Earth’s living things and oceans and strange things happen if close enough.

4. Once I get out, I’m not too bad. But I mostly just go to movies or restaurants… and that is seldom. I don’t have too much problem with anxiety if I go with a friend. I did break out of my shell to join a writer’s group. That’s pretty good… a small safe group. (6 of us meeting in the library.)

1. Wow. The beer costs more than $7.00 here. The cheapest seat I am seeing is over $50.00. And that is way, way, way high up near the ceiling. Too bad it was too much because $7 is less than a movie!

5. Perche no? My wife and I do all kinds of things as a fluke. We just visited the Serpentarium Magic in Mills River, NC just for the hell of it. After all, what could a 160 snakes possibly do to ruin my day? Exactly – Nothing! Great fun and the tickets were cheap ($7).

6. As has already been said, but I am *compelled* to reiterate: tickets to such events are way too expensive! These days (on small pensions) the only thing I can afford to go to is a local coffeehouse that has an open mic night for a $7 minimum. Good music. But a hockey game? Never!! Thanks for reminding me that it’s not worth it anyway!

7. I can totally relate… I love sports, from the safety and quiet of my own home… no dancing, wiggling of asses, rubbing of bellies (unless I’m REALLY drunk) on glass anywhere… I hate cheerleaders, I hate mascots, I hate over-dramatic fans… just give me the sport, in peace and quiet, in solitary isolation. πŸ˜€

8. I have had social anxiety in the past, so I can relate. But good for you for getting out there! Now you don’t have to for the rest of the year, LOL. Btw, that gif you posted is of The Green Men from my city Vancouver. Sadly, they retired two years ago. πŸ™