i’m molting

There is no better way to start off the summer than being trapped in the same house as your entire family for a week. Well, as long as you’re willing to have zero alone time, be bombarded by whiny kids, and have your mother nag you from the moment you take your first sip of coffee until you finally decide to sneak off to bed at 8 pm to find solace from some boring TV show. Learn from me, friends… don’t share a big house with a bunch of adult family members and little kids. The insanity is enough to make you want to rip your hair out and weave them into intricate dolls just to watch them burst into flames when you try to saute them on the stove. It’s maddening.

For the most part… we had a good time at the beach. (Even though I got so burned the first day out I had to spend the next three days in hiding.) Since I have a sun allergy, my entire body ended up covered in red bumpy scales and I was doomed to look like an albino cobra the rest of the trip. It was unsightly. Seriously. ย I’m thankful to have a husband that is never embarrassed to be seen with me. Because, wow… it was disturbing. My face looked like it was half blistered and melting off. I can only imagine how many kids I’ve scarred for life.

Anyways, I’m happy to finally be back. Ready to start catching up and reading everyone’s blogs.

Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans. Hope you all still have your arms and didn’t blow them up from a fireworks mishap.

Also, I have another trip in August coming up where we will be sharing a house with Alex’s entire family this time. I’m going to need everyone to form a prayer circle for me. Please keep me in your thoughts. I will need all the strength and support I can get.

(Am I the only one that finds a sick satisfaction in peeling off the skin after a sunburn? I’m like a snake molting.ย Ah…)

1. TRAPPED!!! in the family homestead.

You’re lucky you survived.

As another of the same sun-allergy clan, I can only suggest slathering yourself with coconut oil after the damage has been done. Don’t do it before, ‘else you’ll sizzle. The coconut oil takes the burn part of the sunburn out of the equation, and, in cases of a less severe reddening, keeps you from peeling.

Interesting! I just swam in a vat of aloe vera, but didn’t consider coconut oil. Now I know! I really never go into the sun usually. I’m trying to master the art of becoming a vampire.

2. Welcome back! Absolutely the best part of a family trip or extended stay with same is the first day home. And I’m checking my manual of universal prayers for something appropriate for you for August. I’ll keep you posted. Hah! No pun intended.

Thank you. I hope there’s a good prayer for the hell I’m going to endure again. I was happy to come home! Too bad the day I got home I also had to watch two of my nieces for 3 days. I’m ready to see no family for a month. Minimum!

3. Two words, aloe Vera. I got really burnt the only day of summer here in Ireland and also became temporarily reptilian, but a bit of aloe Vera (especially after it’s been in the fridge for a few hours) works wonders!

Hope you’re feeling more human soon!

I was swimming in aloe for a few days! It doesn’t seem to help much for me sadly. Only for a short time after I put it on. I’m doomed for the reptilian lifestyle ๐Ÿ˜€

4. Dermatillomania – compulsive skin picking. Though the term refers more to those who are obsessed with picking at scabs. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think we all have a little bit of that in us. Who hasn’t re-opened a wound from picking at a scab?

I have to go to my in-laws in a couple of weeks. Granted it is only for 2 nights but I’ve been dreading it since I booked our flights. I already told my husband that we need to stop at the liquor store not long after we get there. I’ll need my bottles of red wine, please.

They live in this smaller town up north and even though there’s actually stuff to do there – nature hike trail, for example, ask me if I ever get to do that stuff? Go ahead, ask me? Cause I DON’T! And why? Because the moment I land my MIL has us scheduled to meet 50 of our distant relatives spread across the entire time we are there. These are people whom I never socialize with. These are people who couldn’t give a rat’s ass about me. These are people who are just there for the free food and booze. They have nothing to contribute to any conversation other than their ranting and complaining (sort of like what I’m doing now.)

I’m not really an introvert. I’m what they call an omnivert. But when I am being extroverted, I’m extremely picky which whom I spend my time with. I can enjoy a part of a lot of people but the core people there need to be those I actually care to be with (and vice versa). Otherwise, I rather have an intimate gathering with a small group where we can really chat.

I will also have to deal with meeting a grand-aunt who’s a little racist against Chinese people (I’m Chinese) and the rest who hate people from Toronto (we’re like the NY of Canada – everyone hates us because we get the most attention).

This is why I go and stay buzzed the whole time.

They probably think I have a drinking problem. I’m sure there are already rumors about that because that’s another thing they love – gossip. But that’s another story…

Oh man, I’ve never heard of omnivert before, just the obvious ones. (intro/extro.) I feel like I could be on omnivert as well! That fits me better than an a full on introvert for sure. I enjoy being social with people, but just the select ones that don’t piss me off. Well, I’m happy that your trip is only two days long and not longer! Dealing with racist assholes doesn’t sound enjoyable at all. I hope you don’t give her the time of day. Screw her! Good luck on your trip. Make sure you get enough wine to last through the time you’re there lol

5. I’m laughing so hard right now. I can just imagine a bright red woman with snake like scales, peeling her skin off in front of small children. My evil little black heart is giggling too. ๐Ÿ˜€ Welcome home. x

1. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ It’s a good thing I have a facial recognition guided, purple, people incinerating, laser rocket launching gun on top of my secret evil lair tower, specifically for people who cleverly catch me out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. I can remember getting sunburn as a child (rarely enough sun for it here in the UK) and my Mam peeling the dead skin in strips off my back, laying them across a kitchen chair and the dog eating them. Oh happy days. Simple pleasures ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh GOD. I thought that sounded so fun, until I read that the dog ate them hahaha. That almost made me gag a bit!

7. Don’t you come now and say I didn’t warn you…. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ – BUT YOU INSISTED…. and you will do the same again in August – with your hubby’s family – if you are not a masochist, I don’t know who is. But hey, you’re an adult and know what you’re doing, or don’t you?! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Anyway, I’M a sun-burner too – I have this allergy of being nearby a state with sunshine (and we get a heck of a lot here….) and I’m breaking out in rushes, red cheeks (yesssss, like a drunkard), little lovely buttons of red & slimey stuff breaking open, even my head skin is burning if I’m not covered with a wide hat, grotesque sun glasses and walking only in the shade – so you have my full sympathy and you certainly will have my prayers for surviving the next trip.
    Hope you had some fun, all the same…. Actually, we’re doing the same thing every year, only not for weeks on end but always driving to Switzerland and visiting all and sundry – because it was US leaving the flock and therefore it’s US to make sure that we are not forgotten….
    I’m also the one with the sweetest blood in the family and ergo get bitten, sucked, nibbled on by all kinds of little beasts, flying, crawling jumping and whatnot whereas the rest of the family is not bothered at all – I wonder why?!
    Love you, red or not!

Oh man, you’re like the European version of me! I get DESTROYED by mosquitoes here too! Like, I can’t even go out at certain times of the day without bugspray or I will legitimately be covered in bites. And they make me itch so badly I always end up ripping them open. But… we did learn from our mistakes! I think we will only be going for a small portion of the week rather the entire time. 3 days sounds about nice! lol

8. Heh, I did that with my husband’s family when I was pregnant with my firstborn, and when the little kids started running rampant, I went in my room and lay down and let someone else deal with it. Figured my days of being able to do so were numbered. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh man, you went in with a good excuse to leave too. You could always use the “I’m feeling sick…” Nobody questions pregnant women! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. Vacations and family, I think there is a universal rule against it. Some vinegar rinses will help ‘melt’ off the flaking skin if the burn wasn’t too deep in the epidermis. The only other solution is time. Oh and wine, lots of wine. Not whine, mind you but the deep claret variety (or soft golden if that is more palatable).

Ah… I don’t mind dealing with any issue if the remedy is more wine! I’m all for it. I don’t think my burn was too deep, but it’s mostly healed now. I’m definitely going to keep that in mind for next time though!

10. OMG. Family Overload!!!!! And again in August? Are you insane. Or… as someone said… trapped!!! It’s the price paid for family peace I guess, huh? Happy 4th, well – 5th – and good luck for August!!! xox

11. Anonymous

I peel sunburn too. It’s a weird obsession. While I’m sorry you had to deal with such a painful sunburn, I have to admit that I am such a horrible person that some little twisted part of me would be amused if I had a sunburn like yours that traumatized small children. I really am a horrible person.

It was slightly amusing, I won’t deny it! It felt disgusting though lol. I couldn’t get over how my face felt… it was strange and unnatural. Luckily it’s fully healed now.

That’s an awesome rule, really! We had our own bathroom attached to our room so it was fine in that regards. If I had to share a bathroom with family I haven’t lived with in years… awkward.

12. This is very satisfying, even past elementary school: spread glue on palms, rub together quickly, then separate and let dry. Peel off and bask in the satisfaction.

Oh and I feel you on the sunburn–I feel asleep on the deck of my grandfather’s pool when I was about 10 or 11 and got a massive burn that by evening was a colony of blisters all over my back. I could barely lift my arms and putting shirts on was not a reality. I had to wear these horribly unfashionable things called tube tops for about three weeks. You can imagine my fear of shower water assaulting my back. Ah, good times!!!

As for the upcoming family vacay, take lots of books!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh man… tube tops! I haven’t put one of those on since I was probably six years old lol. So styling back then. I used to do the glue thing with my hands… there really is something strangely satisfying about peeling it off.

13. I haven’t had a sunburn in so long, and I loved peeling the skin – but I did just give my right boob freezer burn and was reminded how awesome it is to peel off skin with that – would prefer a sunburn.

You gave your boob freezer burn? How did that even happen?! I’m so curious haha. I thought only things improperly stored in an actual freezer over time got freezer burn. The curiosity is killing me.

14. Just say NO to destination vacations with the whole extended family. That’s what I do, anyway. Thanks for your kind 4th of July wishes, I do indeed have both arms intact but cannot speak for the neighbors whose bottle rockets had my dogs terrified and howling the (red, white, and) blues. Hope the molting goes well and you are back to (semi-)normal soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh man, Independence Day is a dog’s worst nightmare. I always feel so bad how shaky they get! Sad. Hope your pups have fully recovered from such traumatizing booms. I really do need to start saying no to family vacations lol

15. Living in Australia we grew up with the whole fascination of burning one day and peeling our skin off in strips a few days later – it was a natural part of growing up as sun lovers.
    When I hit my 40’s I started the wonderful routine if having skin cancers removed. Even had to have surgery to remove several from my scalp. Fortunately didn’t end up with a bald patch because my hair is still the fine baby bum fluff it was from birth. I was told it was my youth catching up with me, so be warned.

Oh, I imagine it would. That’s intense. Hope everything is good with your skin as of now. I honestly never go into the sun and just supplement my Vitamin D instead. Even as a kid I wasn’t huge on being outside and hot, so I’m hopeful I’ll be spared from skin cancer. This was an extremely rare occasion!

16. I had my brother’s family over the other day, 5 kids in total, and I was ready to pack a bag and run away from home. Once I hit adulthood, the thought of spending days on end with family, especially lots of children, makes me somewhat queasy. I’m going to send you both sides of the force. The good for keeping your sense of humor and the dark side to scare the children and drunk uncles off.

Haha, I could definitely use both sides of the force! Good thinking ๐Ÿ˜€ Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of family gatherings either. I loved them as a kid, but now I feel like it completely disrupts my life and it actually gives me anxiety after a few days lol. It’s literally the only time I see my side of the family though, we live on opposite sides of the country, so the one trip a year is it!

Yep! Sounds about right. I ended up making everyone dinner/lunch/breakfast for the first 3 days. Nice “VACATION” eh? Frustrating!

17. Hey Sheepy sorry your visit was a drag. I just got back from one and had lots of fun, maybe because my family is nuts. My sis and I laughed so hard she peed herself and I was right on the verge! I think it helped that the only family I was with the entire time was her, and we do get along quite well. I hope your visit with the hub’s family isn’t too disturbing. You might get lucky and come down with the flu and get to stay home in bed and hang with all your blog friends instead. Not in bed really, just maybe virtually, like on your laptop…sitting in bed…hehe.
    At least your old man sounds like a real prince of a guy. Good for you!

Ohhhh, your idea of suddenly becoming sick sounds like a good idea! I don’t really want to be sick… but I wouldn’t mind faking it for a bit lol. He is a prince! I’m a lucky lady. I’m glad your trip was fun. It sounds like a much better time than mine lol. Mine actually was pretty fun at the end of the day all thoughts considered.

18. Aha, Am looking forward to visit from my family- the whole bunch , whiny kids and boring TV shows included. I can hear you say – I warned you!
    I have never met anyone with sun allergy … it must be fun to peel off skin like that. You get a younger skin. The closest thing I did is to apply fevicol(the glue) on my fingers and then peel it off when dry.
    My son sure love doing it.

You are in prayer for Aug match ๐Ÿ˜‰ May your God give you strength ,patience and wonderful memories.

Thank you! I hope your family visit goes well and the kids aren’t too whiny ๐Ÿ™‚ Mine really was good at the end of the day, and I’m glad I got to see everyone and catch up. I don’t see them very often at all. The glue thing is also super fun, I remember doing that as a kid all the time lol

19. Same on the sunsickness. Like having razor burn all over, but with the face of a drunkard, which stings so much it makes me angry like one as well. My husband is kind like yours, thank goodness. Maybe because his mother also has sun allergy. And one of our kids is afflicted. Bleh.
    Big hats are my thing now.
    Big hat, yes, big house, no.
    I cannot believe you did the big house thing. I have friends that do this, too. They post such beautiful, happy photos and then later, over much w(h)ine, I hear how it really went down. And yet, they do it every year, lol! Suckers! ๐Ÿ˜›

The sun allergies are brutal! Your friends sound exactly like mine. We had some great family photos and scenes to take pictures of…. But, yeah. A lot goes on behind those smiling faces haha. Not sure how many more big house trips I have in me

20. I’m glad you didn’t die. The skin after a sun-burn is what makes a sun-burn worth it. I remember as a kid, my scalp burned and it was the most satisfying peal-a-thon EVER. My hubby and I are going to Vegas in August (Why, I’m not sure. Apparently he wants to be cooked alive) so I will need prayers and sunscreen as well.

Oh man, you want to go to the desert in August?! Y’all are crazy. We usually go in winter and its perfect. Good luck ! Scalp peel does sound creepily satisfying lol

21. Wow, gorgeous photo of the clouds and water! Was that to distract us from the disgusting image in our minds of your scaly peely skin…Eeew! And of course I love to peel it off. One of life’s best lemon to lemonade moments. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you! I figured it out be a better thing to look at than a photo of half my face falling off. I may be wrong though lol

22. I’ve never done anything like your family vacation and will never do anything like your family vacation! Fences, and separate hotel rooms, make for better neighbors, and family gatherings, imho.

23. I know the feeling all too well. Only a few weeks ago, I was in the same situation. And besides the sunburn, at least you got to be at the beach. I was in good ol’ Columbus, Georgia. Suffering the bolstering heat and the only escape was to choose to be surrounded by screaming kids under the comfort of a central A.C. Unit!

Oh man, that’s true. At least I was on the beach and it was pretty breezy. Georgia sounds like it would be hella sticky right now. Ick. I feel for you lol

24. Oh, we just got really sunburned too! My daughter had to lie on her tummy without clothes, her back and bum – she pulled her undies all the way up into a t-back because her butt hurt. My face and chest peeled. Lovely.

Oh wow, butt burn hurts so bad. I feel bad for her lol. I can only imagine how terrible her trips to the bathroom have been haha.

25. I just did the whole his-entire-freaking-family-in-one-house thing and it’s horrible and I feel like drinking ahead of time is a good idea. I’m glad you survived your family, I’m sorry you’re burned nice and crispy (but yes dear GOD peeling dead skin is intensely satisfying), and I’ll cross my fingers your next family adventure goes smoothly.

26. My son (20 y.o.) goes barefoot all summer, so he molts at the beginning of the season on the bottoms of his feet. We just got past that when he went fishing and burned his arm. He insists that it’s the itching that makes him peel of the skin, but I’m not sure

27. Pssss…..over here….I like it too, although I have honed my sun skills over the last ten years to never burn that much again. Good luck with the next family extravaganza! In laws….yummy. Perhaps voodoo dolls? ๐Ÿ˜‰ BTW what lighthouse is that?

I honestly don’t remember what lighthouse it is, but it’s in Corolla, NC if that helps :D. Voodoo dolls sound like they might come in handy. Good thinking haha