waddling into the future

Random-As-Shit Wednesday Thoughts

I like to think I know you guys pretty well, so I’m pretty sure you are all plagued with worry as you fight sleepless nights, eat your feelings, and clutch your kids close while they cry into your shoulder and rub globs of snot onto your prized, limited edition Harry Potter t shirt. But I am here to comfort you with an official report: our cars haven’t been vandalized since my last post. (You thought I was talking about Trump or something equally scary, right?) After spending hundreds of dollars on a home security system and getting the car fixed by someone I was confident wouldn’t ruin it, I figured it wouldn’t happen again. That’s just how life works around here. Shit only happens when you aren’t expecting it. So, go on! Move on with your life! Nothing to report here.

(A pretty mountain river from one of our hikes)

About two weeks ago Alex and I went to the mountains for five days. I’m not going to lie… we did a terrible job planning our trip and solely picked the town because there was a casino and resort there. Great for nighttime, but during the day there was absolutely nothing to do besides outdoorsy stuff. You know, like hiking, biking, rock climbing, fishing, and other things you healthy, active people want to do in the mountains. This is not the case for us. We like our vacations to be lazy, filled with plenty of naps, alcohol, and so much food the thought of walking up a flight of stairs sends us into a panic over the idea of impending crampy doom. The mountains were beautiful though, so we managed to go out daily to try and learn how to do, uh… fitness. Next week’s beach trip is slated to be more our style.

I’m starting a new venture along with blogging (which I really need to do more of,) and writing my novel —Β Animation. I recently purchased a Wacom drawing tablet and Adobe Animate, and hopefully with hours and weeks of practice and YouTube tutorials (which are really informative, actually.) I’ll actually be able to draw my own mini animation series. It will be a silly/humorous show based off of Benny the Sheep. (The drawing in my blog header.) It’s been really hard to master, but I’m getting better every day and I’m excited to work on the episodes.

(Here’s the first drawing of Chester, who will be one of Benny’s friends.)

1. So far, your vacation adventures don’t sound at all like the ones I would seek out, but hey, we’re all different, aren’t we? Looking forward to hearing about the beach, and very much your animations!

2. Contrary to your habits, I plan my shit. No turd in my life is random. And screw casinos and beaches, give me the woods any time. A vacation for me is a bike in the woods. I am Eull Gibbons on a bike. Eating pine cones makes it difficult to plan your shit, however.

Best wishes on the animation. Chester looks cool.

3. Anonymous

Animations are adorable. Glad to hear you liked the mountains. Its is beautiful. I do alot of stuff outdoors but I’m with ya on the vacay, I’m a lazy eating fool. Who wants to actually have to work out during vacationing? Or cook or clean? Enjoy your beach trip!

4. Love your new adventure. Cheater looks like he will be a big hit. Your tackling this new adventure is inspiration as I need to do something different as well. Thanks for the inspiration. I will let you know when I know more. Thanks

5. Chester looks to be in that precise state of surprise I had upon my first prΓ€kˈtΓ€lΙ™jΔ“ debut. A little “oh dear” scattered among the sangΒ·froid.
    Love that.

6. That’s so great that you’re looking to start animating. πŸ™‚ I love animation and it’s something I’d like to learn to do one day as well. I hope you’ll post your creations so we can see them! πŸ˜€

7. I gained 5 pounds since your original post on the graffiti incident. I’m sure it’s your fault and not at all the beer and pasta I consumed. Hehe. I’m so excited you’re working on Animation, and I love Chester. Such fun!

8. Darling; I’m SOOOOO glad for you. It’s scary indeed living in a place you have to be afraid of your neighbours (… kids, crazy ppl, maniacs, etc) – And obviously you didn’t completely fail with your hol’s planning (see pic) and sometimes one just needs a real ‘out’ time πŸ™‚
    Looking very much forward to your further drawing! It sounds fun – and I like Benny so much that I can’t wait for all his friends to make an appearance too….

9. Exciting things Blair… As i went right to the picture, I was like, who’s Benny??? Excited for your new animation adventure.
    Great news on the other fronts. The security system is still worth it and likely gives you more peace of mind than you know.

10. Chester the Chicken is fine. But once you get to Benny the Sheep, I’ll be watching. Make sure he is not too similar to Fritz the Sheep (Trademark symbol! Copyright symbol! Registered symbol!) or I might just sue.
    Glad to hear your car is okay. And that stuff about nature.

I went and read about Fritz! He seems a lot more cute/normal than Benny. Benny is a little insane and isn’t a fan of most animals πŸ˜€ DON’T SUE! πŸ™

11. I LOVE THE SHEEP B! I didn’t know you drew that and now I know it’s name! Yeah! You had me vomiting in my mouth when you said hiking. That is WAY to outdoors for me.Not going to lie, I would rather be in air conditioning than in the heat. Enjoy your beach vacation and adult beverages!!!

Thanks πŸ˜€ Benny is the man. I actually didn’t draw him… my husband did! But I’ve managed, with a lot of practice, to copy him well enough to draw consistently. I agree, though… air conditioning is much better than heat. Any day.

12. Okay – vacation suggestion – get your passports in order and visit us in San Jacinto, Ecuador. We don’t have any strenuous activities to fill you days – just food, booze and a beach. You could really focus on Chester and friends while getting stuffed full of seafood and rum.

13. Great that you are trying your hand at animation. I have been working to learn Adobe Illustrator for some time and am finally getting at least a finger if not a hand on it. That allows me to do my Park Bench Philosophy weekly comic that goes on my blog as well as Sat K’s Need to Know and various other poster type stuff. There’s plenty of Adobe Tutorials available.
    May I also recommend Christopher Hart’s Humongous Book of Cartooning. ISBN 978-0-8230-5036-9. It’s simple and straIghtforward and will take you all the way through from head to foot to expressions and stances.
    I don’t know if you (or anybody for that matter) are getting my posts in your reader since I moved to my self-hosted site. If you are, you can check out some of my work done with Illustrator by someone (me) who can’t draw if my life depended on it.
    Keep up the good work.