i still don’t want your organs

I’ve never done this before, but instead of being, you know… productive this morning and writing the post I had planned, I ended up spending two hours reading every.single.post I’ve made since I started this blog. That’s almost two years worth. I was going to write about a funny story from my childhood but for the life of me – I couldn’t remember if I’d posted about it before. I’m worried I’m going to start repeating myself and look like a complete idiot. Have you guys gotten to that point yet? My mind has gone to complete crap. Maybe it’s my age or the long term effect of eating too many cheese balls as a kid, but I’m blaming 4/20 even though I haven’t smoked in years. Yep, definitely the weed’s fault.

So, for the first time ever, I’m going to do a ‘Friday Flashback‘ post and share one from over a year ago. It goes along well with the fact that I’ve been feeling a bit down from having a lack of a life/friends lately. (Why is it so hard to make friends as an adult? I never had this issue when I was younger.)

February 2016:

I recently stumbled upon a blogger who was reviewing a local restaurant right down the road from me. It made me pretty excited, so I posted a comment and tried to connect with her. I really had no intention of meeting this person, I just wanted to tell her how much I agreed with her good review and next time she should get the Bacon & Pimento Cheeseburger because it will give her a mouthgasm. (If you don’t know what Pimento cheese is, you’re not living life.)

Well… she never responded to me. I figured I might come across a bit crazy in my writing, so I thought reaching out to her in an email would clear my name and make her feel more at ease:

“Hi!

I commented on your post recently and I’m worried I came across weird and freaked you out. Don’t be scared. I didn’t want to meet up with you or anything like that. I know I come across a little crazy on my blog… but I assure you I’m more of a “I made my 8-year-old niece try a dog treat crazy” rather than a “I’m going to find your house and harvest your organs crazy.” Speaking of your house, the one on your Bio page is so cute. So is your dog. If you want to be friends, I’m just down the road.

-Blair”

Pretty sure I made it worse. You win some, you lose some right?

Lesson of the Day : If you want to make new friends off the internet, don’t mention living down the road from them and harvesting their organs in the same paragraph.

PS – I promise… I’m really not crazy! Well, not serial killer crazy at least.

1. Yea…the combination of organ harvesting and geographically compatible may play badly when approaching new internet friends…

OTOH – pimento cheese is the bomb. So is feta. Did I mention there’s this burger place just down the street from me that served me a burger one time LOADED with feta, bacon & onions?

I just about went into a food-happy coma.

2. S. A. Young

I have to go back through our blog’s history too, whenever I actually have an idea I’m excited about. “Wait…did we already do that?” I blame the aging process, but since people have ever diminishing attention spans, they probably won’t remember anyway.

3. gah! i did exactly the same thing this morning. lol reading mah blog. i felt very narcissistic, but it’s more “did i write that?” more than “hey, i wrote that!” ur so funny.

1. sorry to be annoying, but i just thought. if u want to guest post on my blog, let me know what u want to put on there. i’ve done that a couple of times and it increases traffic for both of us. just putting it out there. like harvested organs.

Thanks 😀 You forget sometimes! Plus, it’s okay to be narcissistic as long as you do it in private, right? lol

Hahaha jeez! That would *freak* me the hell out. I’m not trying to get arrested over here! That’s hilarious, though.

4. LOL…yeah, I would have been a little freaked out. Not by the comment, but by the email. I think it’s more the ‘I’m just down the road,’ part, however. Once I have been chatting to you and feel our friendship, that would be great. I might even ask if you want to go have coffee – or gluten-free 0 calorie tasteless snacks – together. But if you say, let’s be friends – I’m down the road. I feel like you’re lurking on my doorstep about to bust in, and I go into back-up and hide mode.
    There was nothing at all wrong with what you said, in the real world. But for some reason the atmosphere is different in the virtual world. Perhaps because there are no body language cues or visual of any sort to identify friend from yikes!?

You’re right. If I got the email I would probably ignore it as well! Definitely comes across differently online than in person. It doesn’t help that it was someone I’ve never spoken to before (online, I mean.) Tasteless snacks sound right up my alley! If only you lived near me. I’m always down for some tasteless food 🙂

5. I have a tendency to want to “friend” anyone with whom I instantly “click” with! But being an extreme introvert I then curse my big mouth when in fact they really want to get together! I love the idea of having new friends but lack the energy to actually do much about it. I once had a friend on FB that I really liked and I thought she liked me too until suddenly her “real” friend started saying I could be a stalker (um….I just missed my grandson’s 1st birthday cause I was too tired to get cleaned up to go to my daughter’s house so being a stalker isn’t high on my bucket list) and soon I realized that I was no longer seeing her on my FB newsfeed and when I checked my “friends” list, she had disappeared! We had been friends for more than a year so why she got “weirded out” and unfriended me is a mystery!!!

That’s strange! Yeah, I have zero interest in actually stalking someone, too. It’s hard when you’re an introvert – I feel you! I barely leave my house. Stalking someone? Would never happen lol.

6. Don’t think you’d want my organs…I drank too much when I was younger…and yes, I do like to read what I’ve written as I’m a bit of a grammar nazi.I shouted at a sales assistant in the Pound Shop for a misplaced apostrophe. Technically it wasn’t her fault but she was there..

1. Only when you were younger, eh? So that pawn shop incident was completely all you, eh? There’s a revolution coming soon, and us grammar folks are gonna get roughed up. You’d best blame it on alcohol.

7. If you lived down the street and emailed me, I’d want to be friends with you primarily BECAUSE of the organs remark, LOL! No really, that was so nice of you and it’s obvious you’re a cool cat! She’s so lucky you reached out. All my neighbors are recluses – I hate it here.

Too bad you don’t live near me, then! I’m actually a recluse, too, for the most part. But I’m trying to make friends. It’s hard when you’re socially awkward! haha

8. Hi I am just down the road…. (and across a few oceans!!!!!) and apart from
    very bad eyesight
    two worn out knees
    hurting feet
    and the occasional headache, allergy, skin irritation, a fat belly and hair in free fall I have many organs one cd still use….. 😉
    you are truly priceless

9. You’re just hilarious!! Your “lesson of the day” – point well taken!! LOL!! Like, “Come visit me, I’m just next door – I promise I’ll keep the rottweilers tied up, and the crocodile can’t escape his basement lair… I don’t think.
    BTW, re repeating an old post – I’ve actually DONE that, to my everlasting shame. My blog is the same age as yours. Not THAT old, so shouldn’t I have remembered…? Geeeez.

It’s hard to remember, I feel ya! I actually read a few of my posts that I didn’t remember AT ALL. I’m only 30! So freaky lol

10. love it – wish your house was just round the corner from mine as then we could feed the lambs and talk about organ harvesting in a totally not mad way! OK, does this sound creepy? It wasn’t meant to …. no really ….. just lack of sleep …honestly 🙂

Oh man, I’d never leave your lambs alone! (That sounds creepy too) I’d seriously be over there all the time hanging with you and the animals lol.

1. I told the lambs what you had said and they found it a bit creepy, but in a cool way and they wish you could come visit – they weren’t so keen on the talk about organ harvesting or my recipe for devilled lambs’ kidneys …. who knew?

11. Please permit me to lay your fears to rest: you’re not crazy.

Deeply disturbed perhaps, but not crazy.

Please ask your significant other to check to make sure you’re taking your meds as directed.

Watching from behind the shrubbery,

J 😎

I don’t want to scare the shit out of you – but I actually don’t take any meds. Batten down the hatches. Lock your children away! Unless you count vitamins, I’m all about those. I really need to get back on meds though lol

12. It sucks that we can’t just share candy and become instant friends with people in adulthood. It’s takes me ages to add and keep adults. Everyone is so occupied or busy buying birthday presents for all the friends they already have that they don’t want another burden. I’m just going to introduce myself to any new potential friends by saying, “My name is Lyz and you won’t have to buy me anything.”

Haha, I like that method. Friendship – no purchase necessary. I keep seeing groups of adult friends out, and I’m always confused. How can I get that? It’s hard when you’re not forced to be near each other every day like it was during school. Ick.

1. True. You may have to go to places that you enjoy, like a bookstore or even a café and force conversation on people. You’re so funny; use humor. Than just casually say, I’m looking to expand my circle. You wanna exchange contacts, maybe we can hang out later?

13. People are so silly about ignoring comments– or taking comments too seriously. I mean really, these are blogs, not applications to get into heaven. If I’d received your comment on my blog I would have been gracious about acknowledging your helpfulness. And your follow-up email would only have shown me how sincere you are. 😉

Right? I hate the comment ignorerers. (Okay, I know it’s not a word – but it flows.) It’s a sure way for me to never bother reading/commenting on your blog again! I’m evil like that.

14. Ugh I am having this same problem. Ironically, I re-read my blog last night and still couldn’t remember if I had written about the same thing already or not, once I was done reading. 🙄 This post gave me the laugh I needed today so thanks! 😁

Right? All it takes is some sort of acknowledgment. I don’t like when people don’t respond – feels like I’m being ignored when trying to have a conversation haha.

15. I love pimiento cheese. I think I’ll make some tomorrow.
    My organs are not available at this time, but I’d like to think when they are offered up, you’d at least try to comment on them. Sheesh. Some people.

Right? Who wouldn’t try to get their hands on some fresh organs? Seems pretty standard to me. Just don’t make pimento cheese too often like I was doing – hello constipation station.

1. We did have it today 🙂 I know just what you mean. BUT you know, you can use it medicinally for that purpose, should the need arise, as it did for me in 2010. 😉 LOL

I agree. Who wants to hang around the boring schmucks? When I have an organ up for grabs, I’ll let you know 🙂

16. The beginning of this post made me laugh. I spent an incredible amount of time this morning trying to find an old post to re-blog during my sabbatical – and make sure it wasn’t one I had already re-blogged! Not as easy as I thought it would be. Thank heavens everyone loves me, right? I could probably re-blog a post 20 times and still have it pick up views (she says optimistically). I just hope I’m able to end my sabbatical and start writing new posts before I actually run out of old ones.

I hear ya. I always feel bad reposting, so it’s my first time! But… next sabbatical I take I’ll end up doing the same. I doubt people would even notice ha! Hope everything is well with you 🙂

17. I’ve done the exact same thing. Spent hours reading old posts to make sure I am not repeating myself. The thing is, though, followers come and go. And the ones that stay are also dotty any forgetful. As my sister says: don’t feel bad about re-posting – people miss stuff and are thankful to get a second chance.
    That being said – I absolutely remember the first time you posted this. And STILL! – it was fun to read it again.

18. Another brilliant post. I’ve just taken a break from blogging, and am slowly returning. So can relate. And making friends… is real hard when you get older, just seems that everyone is hanging out with the same person they met at school. You just can’t compete with that!

Agreed! It’s hard to move to a totally different place. Everyone is set in their ways and already have their people. Then it’s just me…. Chilling alone. lol

19. You’re a funny young woman. Regarding pimento cheese, which I had not even thought of in a long time, I’ve lived in Mexico for 17 years, and I’ve never seen pimento cheese sold down here, which is rather odd considering that Mexicans put cheese on virtually everything. Plenty of tacos, however. No lack of tacos.

20. Guess we’re on the same wave-length here … “I’m worried I’m going to start repeating myself and look like a complete idiot. Have you guys gotten to that point yet? My mind has gone to complete crap.” Join the club … or did you found it?

21. Dang, she couldn’t have even responded?? See, if I am going to review a specific restaurant in my city and call it out by name, then I fully expect any locals who happen to follow me to leave comments like yours. She should have thought of that before posting a restaurant review!

Right? Well, to be fair, the restaurant has multiple locations in NC and I recognized the background where she was standing in the photo. I can’t remember if she called out the town name or not lol.

22. I am always worried about posting about the same thing. And I actually have, which is really bad because it was an easy thing to verify, but I didn’t even think to look. I posted about one of Nia’s 52 moves twice. Oh well. Now I try to do a search on my blog. I kinda figure if I am writing about it again, then perhaps it is important to me. Or I can’t remember anything . . . oh well . . what was I saying? 🙂

I think it is more difficult to make friends as an adult because perhaps we view time differently. Time is precious so we don’t want to waste it on/with people that we have nothing in common with or something like that. It is not about, “Hey a new person.” It is about, “I don’t have time for your drama.” As an adult we have standards and expectations, as kids, we didn’t care.

You crack me up. I love your qualifiers: ““made my 8-year-old niece try a dog treat crazy” rather than a “I’m going to find your house and harvest your organs crazy.” I read it three times and laughed every time.

Thank you 😀 I guess you’re right. Time moves WAY too fast as an adult. It’s rather frightening, really! I think about it all the time lol.