i still don’t want your organs

I’ve never done this before, but instead of being, you know… productive this morning and writing the post I had planned, I ended up spending two hours reading every.single.post I’ve made since I started this blog. That’s almost two years worth. I was going to write about a funny story from my childhood but for the life of me – I couldn’t remember if I’d posted about it before. I’m worried I’m going to start repeating myself and look like a complete idiot. Have you guys gotten to that point yet? My mind has gone to complete crap. Maybe it’s my age or the long term effect of eating too many cheese balls as a kid, but I’m blaming 4/20 even though I haven’t smoked in years. Yep, definitely the weed’s fault.

So, for the first time ever, I’m going to do a ‘Friday Flashback‘ post and share one from over a year ago. It goes along well with the fact that I’ve been feeling a bit down from having a lack of a life/friends lately. (Why is it so hard to make friends as an adult? I never had this issue when I was younger.)

February 2016:

I recently stumbled upon a blogger who was reviewing a local restaurant right down the road from me. It made me pretty excited, so I posted a comment and tried to connect with her. I really had no intention of meeting this person, I just wanted to tell her how much I agreed with her good review and next time she should get the Bacon & Pimento Cheeseburger because it will give her a mouthgasm. (If you don’t know what Pimento cheese is, you’re not living life.)

Well… she never responded to me. I figured I might come across a bit crazy in my writing, so I thought reaching out to her in an email would clear my name and make her feel more at ease:

“Hi!

I commented on your post recently and I’m worried I came across weird and freaked you out. Don’t be scared. I didn’t want to meet up with you or anything like that. I know I come across a little crazy on my blog… but I assure you I’m more of a “I made my 8-year-old niece try a dog treat crazy” rather than a “I’m going to find your house and harvest your organs crazy.” Speaking of your house, the one on your Bio page is so cute. So is your dog. If you want to be friends, I’m just down the road.

-Blair”

Pretty sure I made it worse. You win some, you lose some right?

Lesson of the Day : If you want to make new friends off the internet, don’t mention living down the road from them and harvesting their organs in the same paragraph.

PS – I promise… I’m really not crazy! Well, not serial killer crazy at least.

1. I go back and read old posts sometimes. I am sometimes in awe at a piece of good writing that I stumble across. It makes me sad that I’ve spent all my writing on this blog that doesn’t serve any particular purpose…but…it makes me happy, I guess.

I hear ya 😀 Sometimes I go back and laugh at my posts, other times I’m mortified by errors or lack of creativity. Oops!

2. I blame a lack of free time or recess for why making friends as an adult is so hard. That and, as an adult, all of our idiosyncrasies are hard wired and if your flavor of weird doesn’t jibe with the prospective friend (a/k/a potential organ donor) then it’s like trying to marry s’mores with spaghetti with marinara sauce! Yeah, both are delicious–but not in the same mouth at the same time. At least we can be lonely together!

Mmm s’mores and spaghetti. Both sound good right now! But you’re right, definitely not at the same time lol. Jobs really need to have a time for recess so we can all go out and play with each other, share lollipops, and gossip about the best new trapper keepers on the market. I miss those days.

3. You never fail to make me chuckle – I could see myself writing something like that. Part of it may be b/c you feel a little left out for not hearing – when you’ve made this “big” gesture to say, “hey loved that,” or “nice job!” then nothing.

In regards to friends – FEEL YA… read this book not to long ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/MWF-Seeking-BFF-Yearlong-Search/dp/0345524942 Some insight but it’s clear that friendship adulthood is nothing like college w/ ready-made-friends at hand. People get busy and caught up w/ their lives and sometimes they don’t want to get caught up w/ yours. Sucky but true. But hey… I’d never make your niece try a dog biscuit and would be happy to be your friend, although I don’t think we live anywhere near each other. 😉 ha ha… Still it’s nice having you here in the blogosphere and the occasional back and forth. Some days my only correspondence for which I’m happy of… . K of TAF

Aw, I’m glad to be friends even if we are far apart 🙂 Honestly, I don’t know what I’d do if it wasn’t for people I’ve met in blogland. I’d be FAR more upset and lonely than I already am.

4. LOL I went through the same instance of not being able to remember if I had said something or not already in my blog about…a week ago? or was it two days ago? All sense of time is lost to me nowadays. And I just ended up repeating whatever I had already said anyway. As for the friend bit, I feel ya. Many of my friends have moved away, started families and all that jazz. My outside socializing is near to non-existent. I occasionally game with my online buddies though after moving that’s been interrupted a bit. It’s just difficult really because I’ve become so lazy about it. I socialize in increments now. I’ll go on TeamSpeak and chat for the night with me buddies but then go AWOL and watch Netflix/Amazon/Crunchyroll marathons for a few nights and then return from my burrow to chat for another night.

You sound so much like me 😀 Although, I don’t have gaming friends anymore, only blog ones really. But Netflix/Amazon/Crunchyroll marathons are right up my alley lol. I’m lazy about meeting people too. A lot of the time it doesn’t seem worth it since so many people are busy in their own lives. Oh well.

5. Funny story. Seriously though, it is hard to make friends as an adult. When my kids were young, I befriended their friends’ parents until I realized the only thing we had in common were our kids. The friends I still have from when I was a kid are all coupled and don’t seem interested in doing single girlfriend stuff, only going out as couples. These days, it’s mostly work friends and when the job ends, the friendship usually does too. It is depressing.

Oh, I hear ya. I’d even be happy to have friends just because of my kids! I just need to have kids to make that happen. It’s strange how much it changes – I NEVER thought I’d have trouble making friends. Who knew?

6. Oh my gosh, this made me laugh so hard! It hits a little too close to home for me!

Also, I “invented” the word oralgasm in college to describe that kind of food. If you’re ever in the Nashville area, give me a yell. We’ll try some kind of good food, make a child eat a dog treat, and stare creepily at people…

You are definitely my type of friend! Haha. I’m all about good food and staring at people. Good times. Oralgasm… so much better than mouthgasm! I wish I thought of that lol

7. Funny! Hey I’ll be your friend. I don’t live down the street but if you give me your name, number, address, social security…bahahahaaha! PS, I don’t think you’re weird for reaching out. More people need to do that these days.

I’ll share all my personal info for a friend 😀 Okay, maybe not. I’d like to remain debt-free, so I’m going to keep my social security number to myself 😀

8. I’ve never understood the lack of response to comments on a blog – I made a sincere response, or asked a simple question – and they don’t say *anything*? why even allow comments if you don’t respond?! (not you… just talking in general)

RIGHT? That’s my biggest pet peeve in the blogosphere. (I HATE that word, but I don’t know what else to call it lol) How do people expect to grow friends/a community without responding? It makes no sense. Crazies.

1. tbh, it wouldn’t bother me on a blog like yours w/ LOTS of comments – but if I’m the only comment, and I ask a question – why don’t you reply?! lol, oh well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Too funny, Blair! I probably would have laughed out loud at your email. Maybe you didn’t want her as a friend anyway. You have a righteous sense of humor and I think anyone would be lucky to hang out with you.

10. josypheen

I only just found your blog, but I love it. I don’t really understand why that blogger didn’t respond to you, because that would totally make me want to meet you for the giggles.

Anyway, nice to blog-meet you.

Welcome, and hi! 😀 Right? I think I would meet up with someone who sent me an email too. As long as it was in a well-lit, public place lol

Sometimes it’s best not to remember old posts! Haha. Skulking in and out of Starbucks. I’m all about that 🙂

11. I relate. I have zero local friends. ZERO. It’s so sad. I AM FUN DAMMIT. So when you get stuck at MSP hit me up for a cup of joe or a tour of Mall of America.

And I try to respond to blog comments because if you took the time to say something, I appreciate that SO MUCH, because you HEARD me. Well, not 13123213 words worth, but you wanted to let me know that you heard SOMETHING I said, and that makes my feels all fuzzy. (barf)

12. I have rehashed old posts. Over time you get a new audience and the ones who stayed with you can’t remember what they had for breakfast let alone what someone else wrote six months ago.

Right? I think you’re right. I ended up reposting something from a year ago and nobody noticed. I don’t know why I expected anyone to realize it haha.