porcupines make the best cuddle buddies

Since I’ve started writing a novel, I feel like my mind is in a constant state of playing everything out. There’s a movie on loop playing in my head. I’m always thinking about what could happen, or what my characters are doing, and I’m pretty sure it’s driving me to the brink of insanity. Which sounds kind of thrilling, but it’s actually pretty terrifying when you can’t concentrate on anything else. It’s starting to seep into my dreams at night, too, and since my novel is a murder mystery/teen sleuth, this isn’t bringing along dreams of playful puppies tumbling down a field of wildflowers and kittens cuddling underneath a Skittles rainbow. My dreams are more in the realm of brutal slayings, the decapitation of pedophiles, and throwing a stabby porcupine at an unsuspecting stranger’s face. Anybody up for some free acupuncture? It’s an intense way to wake up every morning. Which leads me to a question Alex and I discussed at length yesterday:

If the person you love most in this world (spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/sister/best friend/whatever) killed a pedophile instead of reporting it to police, would you flee the country/hide with them or turn them in? The pedophile wasn’t attacking anyone, or doing anything at the time your person found out so it wasn’t self defense, they were just angry and wanted to end him for being a sick fuck. Are you turning them in because you want nothing to do with it? Or do you love them to the point you are willing to give up your life to protect them and live on the run? I’m curious what your answers are, because Alex and I had opposing ones. Dun dun dun…

Also, how do you not become so consumed by what you’re writing about? Is this normal? I’m assuming this is why most creative artists are the depressive type. Pretty soon I’m going to be shaving my head and chanting around a bonfire in my backyard wearing nothing but nipple tassels and a baby diaper. Okay,Β probably not, but you see where I’m going.

That would probably be a smarter idea, but too late now πŸ˜€ It’s actually not THAT dark of a novel, but my mind has gone a bit loopy πŸ™‚

I’d do the same πŸ˜€ Seems like it might be kind of fun to live life on the run like they have in TV shows. Granted, I’m not extremely in shape, so I don’t know how much outrunning I could do.

1. It’s a conundrum over here at my house. I once would have said “leave the country” but now I’m old and crotchety and love my home, and am married to somebody who is least likely to kill anybody. So ultimately, I have no answers for you. I know, that sucks and im an asshole 😟

Asshole. Kidding, kidding. I mean, we would never kill anybody over here, either, it’s all just hypothetical! I hope nobody is actually considering murdering anyone. That’s pretty fucked up lol.

You’re right. I hope if anyone actually committed murder, they’d face reality and know there’s a 99% chance they’d be caught either way.

Haha, you have the same kind of response as my husband. It would be hard to live in a constant state of worry and panic that someone is following you/coming after you. Freaky.

2. I live on a boat, so its a no-brainer for me ;0 and fleeing the country is much more exciting anyway, and bound to provide a good plot for the next book! I’m not a fiction writer, but I’m seeing a plot here…lol
    oh and I love clip – didn’t know you’d bugged my writing space…
    H xx

Oh man, a boat is the perfect way to escape. Good thinking πŸ˜€ It really would make for an awesome plot. I mean, my plot now has nothing to do with being on the run, but my mind, of course, has taken it there in dreams! Crazy πŸ˜€

3. I think it’s an excellent sign that you’re consumed by your story. As to what I’d do, I’ve given up predicting behaviors based on hypotheticals. The older I get, the less black-and-white the world.

4. For purposes of a novel, you’d have to flee and hide. If you turn the person in, then it’s story over, unless the remainder of the book is about you being all alone, wracked by guilt. Booorrrring!!

Oh, I totally agree. For an exciting plot, they’d need to run. My dream of being on the run actually has nothing to do with my novel, which is weird… my mind just took it there in my dream lol

5. Quite honestly and all kidding aside, killing pedophiles is something my son (the metalhead musician by night and janitor by day) would definitely want to do. He hates injustice and people who get away with doing vile stuff to others. I mean, he kind of hates everything but he hates that stuff the worst. I’m not sure if he would do it but I believe my reaction would be to secretly funnel money to him and help him hide. If I gave up my life and followed him, how the heck would any of us survive…..since I’m the only one in the family with a good job. πŸ˜€ My husband, the mild-mannered old hippie, would not kill a pedophile or anyone else. If I thought I could get away with it and keep my own life intact, I might poison a pedophile. Hope this helps.

And yeah, I’ve gotten totally immersed in stuff I’ve been writing before (way back in the days of trying to be a fiction writer). How can you not be immersed, obsessed and totally crazed when you are in the process of creating perfection? (or as close to it as you can possibly get)

Oh, I totally agree – it’s impossible NOT to get consumed at this point. Your son sounds exactly like my brother! I have zero doubt he would kill a pedophile if he came across one. He’s also in metal. Seems to be a trend here… πŸ™‚ Funneling money is a good idea. Probably a lot safer than actually going on the run with him.

6. What makes you think you’d get caught?πŸ˜„Of course, if that so called partner turned you in you’d probably have to kill them too. Hey, but remember “snitches get stitches” and karma is one mean lady.

Very true. It’s possible you’d get away with it! That didn’t come up in my dream, but I feel like it would be an easier out than fleeing. That’s pretty much an admission of guilt before they even suspect you. Oops.

7. I understand the preoccupying thoughts of your novel. I certainly went through that. Now I am consumed with the marketing of it. Writing the book was easier – for an unknown. πŸ™‚ Keep at it!!
    amazon.com/author/pjeasterbrook

Oh snap! I mean, that would be the most moral thing to do, right? I don’t know if I would do it, but it would definitely be the *right* thing to do.

8. For an excellent examination of your story matter, see the Kevin Bacon movie “The Woodsman.”

As for the life of a writer – I’ve been writing professionally since 1993. Rejection has gotten easier to deal with — I only get depressed for 12-24 hours instead of longer — but the intensity never changes … AND YOU DON’T WANT IT TO. If you don’t feel any passion about what you’re writing, you likely shouldn’t be writing it, or should set it aside and find something else. Passion is what drives writing. It’s exhausting. It’s frustrating. It consumes your soul. It’s maddening. It’s what it is. It’s the price you pay for creativity and I would not relinquish it for anything.

I’ve never seen that movie, I’ll have to check into it πŸ™‚ I love what you wrote about writing. That’s exactly how I feel about my story right now, even though I’m not a professional or anything. Yet πŸ˜‰ lol. I’m expecting a lot of rejection, but I know I will take it personally. Eek.

9. Jay

To reply to your bit about “is writing”blah blah something about consuming everything you hold dear and it oozes into all parts of life “normal?”

I don’t know if it’s normal, but I am also afflicted with it. Currently writing my first fiction and I just had to scrap 10% of it because it wasn’t flowing well enough. I spent the next three days going over and over everything else to make sure that A) everything else makes sense and, therefore, doesn’t need the axe and B) seeing if I could make the parts I had work (which I couldn’t) so; I hope it’s normal!

Oh, I hear you on that! Half the time, I try to ignore going back and rehashing, planning on just fixing it when I start editing, but the other half I feel like it would make zero sense not to go back and fix it now. It’s maddening. Hopefully we both make it through with our brains still functioning properly lol

10. The only thing I know for sure is that I would not turn in my boo lol. My adventurous side says let’s flee the country. My homebody side says “relax, baby, they’ll never find us here cuddled on the couch for eternity!” I can’t wait to read your novel!!

Thank you! That’s exactly how I feel. I’m such a home person with social anxiety, but the other side of me wants to make a run for it just for the thrill πŸ˜€

11. If that person suddenly decided to grab a knife and decapitate a pedophile, not sure if I’d want to hunker down with them in some isolated shack in the middle of nowhere…especially a place without wifi! Yikes, the horror…

12. Killing anyone is wrong, doesn’t matter who they are; there has to be a very clear set of circumstances that allows anyone to do it (war, clear self-defence, etc.). And there are very specific channels that deal with this kind of thing (civilised societies have invented reasonably efficient police & judiciary who have expertise & powers that most people don’t possess). There are way too many instances of people being attacked (& killed) for being a paedo even though there’s not a shred of evidence. There was even an incident of criminal damage to a property of a paediatrician because some illiterate twat couldn’t figure out that it meant ‘child doctor’ rather than child molester.
    It’d be kinda awkward if your beloved turned out to be a monstrous killer acting out some dodgy vigilante fantasy, especially if they’d cocked it up & murdered a completely innocent person.
    Having said that, there are plenty of examples of members of the public carrying out sting operations that are able to identify paedophiles and drag them under the police spotlight. UK police forces now tacitly work with some of these organisations.

Wow… they confused pediatrician with a pedophile? I have no words… that person is a complete dumbass. I mean, it’s definitely smarter to expose them to the police. That is the *right* thing to do!

13. Haha, I’m actually going through the same thing. I’m writing a new novel, and it’s a horror/mystery story. It feels like I’m driving myself crazy with each word I write.
    I watched a YouTube series, where this guy killed some bitch, and his girlfriend helped him. They hid her in a building, and ran whenever somebody was onto them.
    In my opinion, it would depend on how much I loved this person. If I really loved them, I’d run with them. If I didn’t, I would turn them in.

Right?! It’s enough to drive you crazy at night. It’s haunting me lol. I agree, given the circumstance of the murder, I’d probably run with my husband. He would never do anything like that, but I love him too much to lose him lol

14. Next book: comedy. You need to write such. Yep.
    We’re not the killing type, so that fleeing wouldn’t (probably) happen, but sure we both hate pedos and understand the need of limb chopping in their case, some just can’t resist to be judge over those. Well, we never will cry for any sick fuck pedophiles.

Ironically, my book is also comedy-ish! The main character is actually pretty funny. But still… the murder stories are flooding my mind πŸ™‚ Also… nobody should cry for a pedophile. Even if it was someone in my family, I’d be happy they were gone. (Does that make me cruel? Ick)

15. As an 8-year old child, I was sexually assaulted a knife-point (who cut my face with said knife) by a stranger on my walk home from school. I’d help bury the body and give you a high five as we toast over a nice bottle of wine.

Jesus, that’s terrible :\ I’m sorry. I hope they caught that sick fuck and he’s rotting away in prison getting too much love from his bunkmate.

1. Thanks, but nothing for you to be sorry about, love. It’s made me a stronger woman and one hell of a worried/paranoid/petrified/scared mother desperately trying not to helicopter parent. Write one helluva novel with a female lead who kicks a$$!!

16. Considering my who my best friend is and that I’ve already promised to help dispose of a certain someone should they ever do wrong by her…. “Good job babe, you kill those pedos” is the only correct response haha. And I’d say its good to be consumed by your writing. I’ve got a horror sitting on the back burner and I’ve already had some pretty bizarre dreams..

You’re the type of friend I need in my life lol πŸ™‚ The horror stories are a complete mind fuck, right? Totally maddening.

17. Such dark questions for a Monday…I have to make a decision while still struggling with The Return of the Office Chair vs Weekend Warrior? Sheesh, sheepy…give a girl a bit of a warning, first πŸ˜€

As for what I’d do…I know how it would play out. I’d go back and forth. Back and forth. I’d spin multiple scenarios in my head, make a shit-ton of plans for each, have countless dialogs in my head with all the voices standing in for this individual or that one…and still be dithering over the actual decision when the cops busted down the door.

As for the consumption of writing thing – I had one time where a character came SO alive in my head, I started taking on her personality IRL. It almost felt like SHE was in the ‘driver’s seat’ and I was a mere passenger in my own head. For the sake of my sanity, I scrapped the story.

Holy crap, that’s freaky. You started taking on her personality? That literally gave me the chills haha. Too weird for me. Luckily the girl’s personality is based off my own, because it’s first person. So… thankfully that won’t happen to me. Scary, though. lol

18. First of all..naked bonfire chanting in nipple clamps and diaper? And you wonder about those search results,. Hmmmmm.
    Flee..or better yet bury the body and stick around knowing you’ve brought peace to many. But I’d make sure all evidence points to me and protect the lived one..just in case. Keep in mind though for me, whether sticking around or hitting the open road I’m so old if they catch up with me and give me life how long could that be?
    About your writing..although I understand people being passionate and becoming consumed with their writing they don’t have to go together. Writing is work as in it is a job. It deserves a place and a time to be worked on like a job. Outside of those hours you are off. Be off. Do what you woukd if you were working at a job outside the home. Those around you will appreciate it.
    And finally don’t throw that poor porcupine. He has feelings too. Throw knitting needles instead.
    Gosh that’s a long comment. Sorry about that.

Aw, but knitting needles aren’t really sharp enough to do anything fun πŸ™‚ You’re right – I really need to find a way to turn it off, because last night I was wide awake thinking about it forever again. It’s affecting me terribly lol.

1. Yes, I see what you mean about the knitting needles. Ok, something sharper. How about a nail gun. No, no, you need something more feminine. I have it. A stiletto! The knife, not the heels. Sharp, sleek. A can’t miss.
        Good luck with the turn-offing.
        Oh, now I’m going to have nightmares.

19. When I’m working on a series of paintings, my subconscious is usually working away at them most of the time and so when I get into the studio I generally get right at the paintings. It wasn’t always that way. I used to sit down in the studio for an hour or so, then do a clean-up, then sit down for another while, then get to painting. I’m not sure when or why that changed.

Interesting! I’m curious why the routine changed as well. Hopefully I can change around some of my weird habits lol

1. I believe that when we create things – painting, writing, music, whatever – we have to access a particular state of mind. We could call it the wellspring or whatever you want. It’s that place you go internally when you create stuff. When I’m there, painting is thinking. Creating becomes very fluid and I proceed with great confidence. When I was younger, I had these rituals – meditating on the work at hand, cleaning the studio and so on to help me settle into that state of mind. The actual work is all action once I get going. At a certain point, I learned to access that wellspring without all the ritual around it, which is not to say I can always get there. I’m reminded of something the painter Philip Guston wrote about his studio work. He likened it to bashing a brick wall with a sledge. Every day he bashed the wall and that happened was little chunks of brick broke off. Then one day he took just the right swing at the right spot and the whole wall crumbled. All that was left to do was the clean-up. In my mind, creating things is magical, completely beyond the rational. You can have all your ideas together and rationalize what you want to paint or write or play, but the leap you have to make to create something that talks back to you, that affects people emotionally and intellectually is beyond explanation. I guess everyone has to find their own way to do that. Sometimes I look at a group of my paintings and I think, how the hell did I make these things? Painting for me is not a relaxing pastime or even a lot of fun. It’s often a really anxious experience because getting past all those blockades we put up around how we think is hard. As the British painter Francis Bacon once famously said, “the job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery.

Ohh, on a cruise. That sounds lovely lol. I wouldn’t mind spending the rest of my days hiding on a luxurious Caribbean cruise. Ah…

20. Anonymous

remember the 3 S’s– “shoot ’em, shovel ’em, and shut up”. I despise pedophiles, along with anyone else who abuses the elderly or women.

It’s really sickening. Shovel and shut up… that seems like a much better option than fleeing. The elderly abuse scares me, too. I will never put my parents in a ‘home’ for fear of that happening.

21. I have a new blog, so I’m a new me today, but you probably recognize me since the name is almost the same. Writing definitely gets in your head, and it needs to if you want a great story, but I’ve never written anything murderous before, so no nightmares just weird dreams. Do you write just before you sleep? If so, try doing something frivolous in between. (Actually the whole porcupine thing sounded fun…Make your dream like Buffy the Vampire Slayer – go campy so it doesn’t creep you out, perhaps?)
    I wouldn’t give up my life and run with them, but I wouldn’t give them up to the cops either. They’d have to decide whether to stay and take their consequences or run, and if they ran I’d ask they didn’t let me know where so I wouldn’t be an accomplice. So I guess either way I would lose them over it, which would suck. So my ‘Alex’ better not pull that noble but dastardly deed.

I definitely recognize you, and I’m about to stalk onto your new blog too lol. I DO write late at night before bed, I didn’t really consider that might be what’s doing it. It seems to flow better from my mind at night, but maybe I’ll try writing earlier today.

1. Or ok to write late…just get up, move around and do something else with your brain for a few minutes before lights out. Kind of like when you wake up and want to shake off a nightmare. A stroll around the house (with ALL THE LIGHTS ON) and a glass of water can do wonders to push it away.

22. I understand the implications, but at the end of the day unless I KNEW the pedophile was actually a predator and would or had preyed on children I wouldn’t want them murdered. I know that makes me sound like an apologist, but I promise I’m not. If a pedophile preyed on/will prey on children then yeah, I’m for at least locking them up.

But to answer your actual question: I would want to know my partner’s reasons and also the how of the murder because if they did a whole “I revel in the murder of this person” thing that’s kind of a red flag.

That would be quite the red flag, yes lol. It wouldn’t be the best idea to hide off the grid with a psychotic loony.

23. I almost always have a story playing around in my mind. I think on it when I get bored with what I should be doing, then toss it aside when it starts to bug me. Creativity is a 24/7 pursuit.

1. I wait until all the ideas congeal in my brain and I feel compelled to write about whatever. I used to try to capture each thought as it happened, but became overwhelmed with small snippets of half-assed thoughts. So now I trust myself to know when to sit down, put the ideas together, and clear my brain of the whole topic. Seems to work for me.

24. Stories overtake you. Characters wake you up in the middle of the night to make you go pee so they can clarify few things, privately. In real life, people you would never suspect do the strangest things. Cheerleader Prom Queens turned nurse Quaalude junkies help cop killers escape jail and move to South Dakota to work on Fords. Let your characters decide. They will. And you’ll be glad you got up to pee with them. Seriously.

I love what you described, because my characters are definitely taking me to new places I didn’t expect. I’ve also woken up out of a dead sleep to pee more often the past few days. Irony.

25. No brainer for me too. I think I’d like…Portugal. Or maybe New Zealand. I dunno. πŸ™‚ I haven’t tackled a novel yet myself, but I always find it helpful for ANY type of obsessive thoughts if I write them down. Then I pretend they are no longer in my head, but are instead down on the paper (or in the computer). Then I take 3 Tylenol to basically knock myself out. Next day: TA DAA! New day, off to work I go! Or whatever. Argh.

Haha, I like the idea of drugging myself. Kidding, kidding πŸ™‚ That was funny, though. I’ve wanted to dip out to New Zealand or Australia for a long time now. Seems so much nicer over there lol

26. The pedophile is an interesting question. If you kill them without provocation, you could actually go to jail for murder. I don’t believe I want to take that chance. As for being consumed with writing, I would say that I am. I know it probably works on my husband’s nerves after awhile but this is something I feel compelled to do. Nothing wrong with thinking about your characters.

27. Flee the country to a tropical paradise. About your novel – keep a journal by your bed and every time you dream and wake up jot down your very first thoughts it will help and best of luck

That’s actually a really funny idea. I should start writing greeting cards! Haha. If I had any sort of artistic drawing talent or knew how to make graphics on the computer, I’d probably try it out. Seriously. I’d need to hire an illustrator, though πŸ™‚

28. ooofff that’s a tough one. I’d like to think I’d persuade them to turn themselves in, to uphold the right of law etc…. but if it was Husb I’d probably want to run away with him. What a dilemma. That sort of thing is going on in the British ITV police drama ‘Broadchurch’ at the moment

Ohh, I’ve never heard of that show before. I’m actually a sucker for a lot of Brit shows, so I might see if I can find it over here. I would turn in everyone else in a heartbeat. Even if it was my immediate family. But my husband… it’s a conundrum!

29. My husband is a cop so we’ve seriously had this conversation. That jerk would turn me in! I’d keep his secret of course. I don’t think we could stay where we were living tho… I’d be SO paranoid that people knew what I was hiding even though they have no clue. I’m at the grocery store, “would you like paper or plastic?” and I freak out, thinking they somehow know I used a plastic bag to dispose of the body even though the guy cant add 50 + 20 without using a calculator…

Hahaha, that would be me, too. The paranoia would be TERRIBLE. I’d probably have a mental breakdown from stress and end up in the loony bin either way. I’d have to run.

30. Oh totally have his back. But we’d do it together and I’m well able to make it happen in a way that we wouldn’t have to leave at all.
    There’s a story in my small town (1,500 people) that there WAS a paedo here and a few of the townfolk got together and set his house on fire. He didn’t die, but didn’t come back, either. I think we’d be grand πŸ™‚

31. I would reluctantly hide them. If you are looking at the big picture, the friend did the right thing. I think being consumed by your writing is the passion you feel. The healthy side is being mindful of this and knowing when to push it at arms length.

Maybe hiding them would be better than fleeing. Probably smarter to do it that way. Especially if you have kids lol.

32. Ok, so. Obviously the cool answer is to flee the country. But I’ve never been the cool kid. I am loyal, but I also think justice is important (even when it’s hard), and I am very, very, debilitatingly sensible.

If it was self-defence or defence of someone else, then sure, I’m in, let’s get the fake IDs and plane tickets to a non-extradition country. If it was first degree murder, but was the absolute only way to save people from this person–the paedophile cannot be arrested for whatever reason and will keep hurting people–then … maybe. (I would take a lot of convincing that there was NO other option. I don’t agree with capital punishment, even when the law okays it, and I would be very suspicious of someone who thought it was reasonable to take that on themselves.)

But you’re describing a cold-blooded killing, and that concerns me. It sounds like the loved one killed out of hate and anger. It sounds like they wanted to kill and found an excuse. They could have gone to the police if they wanted to fix the problem and avoid killing; they didn’t.

And the thing is my husband just isn’t the sort for cold-blooded killing. His gentleness and empathy are a big part of why I love him. If he did something like this, he would be someone else. I don’t know how I would feel about that. Betrayed, I suppose. Like I never really knew him and the whole relationship was a lie. I’d probably start to fear him.

NB. Possibly colouring my answer: I recently read a non-fiction book about a (local, eek) serial killer who killed people he claimed were paedophiles. Perhaps one or two of his victims were, but definitely DEFINITELY not all of them (he was homophobic and conflated being gay with being a paedophile). And they were really, really, unnecessarily awful murders.

All that said. Plenty of people would. A book about someone who fled with someone who committed a murder for maybe-valid-or-maybe-not-valid-we-aren’t-quite-sure reasons could be very awesome, and I’d read the shit out of it. Especially if there was a porcupine.

Gotta admit, I love how well thought out your answer is πŸ˜€ Thanks for taking the time to go into depths I didn’t really consider. There’s no way my husband would ever do such a thing, either, unless it was self defense and he seriously had no other option. If he DID, I would be worried he had snapped. It would be scarily out of character. My book has to do with a murder, but really nothing to do with pedophiles and being on the run. It was just a crazy dream I had based off my own story line. It was weird.

Oh man, that would be so strange haha. I hope it wasn’t based off terrible things someone did. You might be thinking they are much worse than they actually are now!

33. As somebody who has always been writing this or that, plus having wahayyyy too much imagination and a crazy-running mind, BUT being, at the same time, also pathologically non-athletic and a looser for digging large, deep holes to hide bodies (speaking of experience, I have a very big garden), furthermore speaking as somebody who is totally and utterly non-violent (normally….) and would give away ANY secret if somebody would show me even a rusty, dented kitchen knife……. sorry, I just can see NO WAY of being of help in this matter ;(
    I have just finished reading the book Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty – (and haven’t slept for 3 days because it was such fascinating and compelling novel), I have discussed with Hero Husband all the scenes in the book and we got absolutely nowhere; I have NOT uploaded a single photo on my flickr-website for ages because I’m using all my free time to read and write more —–> so please don’t torture me with even more possibilities of procrastination when I’m not even able any more to cook a proper meal without having my book falling into the griddle pan or getting soaked in squashed cherry tomatoes (yes, it does look like blood and I ruined my perfectly new book for good…. – nobody will believe me that the nasty stain ISN’T BLOOD but a bloody battle between the book and the carrier bag – and the book won!!!!)
    And Blair-Sheepie, you’re an even bigger drama queen than …. πŸ™‚

I am QUITE the drama queen πŸ˜€ Man, now I feel like I need to read that book lol. I don’t know if I’ve had something inspire me quite that much.