your daily dose of crazy

I live in state that’s very much despised by the rest of the country right now. North Carolina. Go on, get your gasps out. Grip your children close and shield their eyes. You don’t want to catch these cooties. Truthfully, I haven’t been paying much attention to the uproar over the ‘bathroom law’ that’s been plastered on the news but it slapped me in the face this afternoon when I least expected it.

If you’ve been around here for awhile, I’ve made it pretty clear I have an undying love for Target and the ability to get an overpriced latte and traipse around the aisles for hours looking at crap NOBODY needs. (No, not even you. Step away from the discounted pair of Easter bunny ears.) I went there this afternoon to try to find a Mother’s Day gift, but I ran into an angry bunch of crazies waiting for unsuspecting customers at the store’s entrance.

morans

Crazy Woman: You shouldn’t shop in Target… they aren’t interested in keeping women and children safe.

Me: Say what now?

Crazy: The companyย supports transgender people using whatever bathroom they want! Can you believe that? It’s an outrage! Men will be allowed into the women’s bathroom!

Me: One time I used the men’s bathroom because I couldn’t hold it. It was disgusting in there. Like someone threw up on top of a dead raccoon and let it fester in the hot sun for a week while crows pecked its eyes out. I gotta tell you… I died a little inside. How do men deal with it? I’ll never know….

Crazy: That’s totally different, though. It’s not the same as a man in a woman’s bathroom. How can you not see that? Are you stupid? This is important and you’re acting like it’s a joke. You’re an embarrassment to America and the foundationย it was built on.

Me: Oh, yeah…. I’m the embarrassment to America. Right.

WHAT is going on in this country? How is calling a stranger stupid acceptable? How is saying it’s okay for women to do something but not men? What is it in my personality that attracts crazy people? Since my therapist prescribes me something to keep my own crazy away, can she prescribe me something to keep other crazy people away too?

It’s getting harder and harder to leave the house with anxiety nowadays.

1. Great for target! I’m definitely not visiting the US now. ( lie – I love to travel) What if I get turned away from the bathroom because I don’t look feminine enough? It’s bad enough going through the menopause with the whole facial hair thingy, and what with the pelvic floor collapsing you sometimes need the bathroom in a hurry. Will there be DNA tests like in the olympics?

It’s possible. Or maybe someone to be a panty-inspector. The jury’s still out. It’s sad, isn’t it? I feel like it’s gone so far we’re going to have something like an airport security pat-down just so we can take a pee. Damn it, America!

I don’t get it either. Maybe because there’s a big gap where the door closes and you can see in? It makes little sense to me.

2. Blair, as you know, I share your embarrassment over this unconstitutional law in our state. I have written several notes to our General Assembly attempting to get behind the sensational fear mongering that you witnessed at Target. It is hard to use logic with someone who has been made scared.

The law is costing and will cost us business. Charlotte has seen over twenty conventions canceled and you know about PayPal and Deutsche Bank’s decisions. But the one that is only starting to get press is the semi-annual Furniture Mart in High Point, which brings $5 Billion to the state. People have to commit on advance, so the spring one is seeing 10% decline, but interviewed designers said, if not changed, this fall’s market will be decimated.

If I am accosted going into Target, I might ask “You do know the law is unconstitutional?” Keith

Oh wow, I didn’t know about the High Point situation with the designers. Are you talking about that massive furniture place? I’ve always wanted to go there but have yet to make it. Not only unconstitutional… it’s a severe lack of human decency. Troublesome, really.

1. Yes. The Furniture Market in High Point. The semi-annual event has been courted by Las Vegas and others for years. This may stick the final nail in the coffin. And, you are right about it being lacking in human decency. Would you be interested in seeing my last email to the General Assembly which quotes Bruce Springsteen? Keith

3. Sorry you had to go through this, but it made for a good post. I am glad I live in California. However, I visit NC often as my sister and brother-in-law have a home in Edenton. We avoid getting into political discussions, although I don’t think they support that ridiculous new law. Keep writing!

Thanks, I definitely will ๐Ÿ™‚ I think a lot of here don’t support it thankfully lol. The crazies just overwhelm them!

4. It’s absolutely ludicrous. I feel like some people aren’t happy unless they have a group of people to take a giant crap on. At that moment it was you the protestors took a crap on. I’m sorry you had to be bombarded with ignorance.

Thank you, it’s okay though. They really took more of a crap on the transgender population rather than me. Sadly. I agree with you though – some people seem like they HAVE to be outspoken and have an issue with someone/something. Even when it’s not a big deal. (Let people pee in peace, already!)

5. Well I spit out my bite of cucumber on the Say what now?! My sister in law lives in North Carolina and I’ve seen the news reports of people outside of Target. And no your therapist can’t give you something to keep the stupid people away. I asked mine already. I wish someone would picket something in Oklahoma, besides the fact that the Governor’s daughter is living in a camper in the backyard of the Governor’s mansion awaiting sentencing on a drug charge. It’s safer to just stay home!

Damn. I’m still hoping my therapist is a genius and can swing something haha. It really is safer/better just staying home. Too many weirdos out on patrol.

6. Sheepy, we need us normal people to keep going out there, so that WE outnumber the crazies! If I lived closer, I’d go to Target with you, and we’d make fun of all the weirdos, while roaming the aisles encouraging each other to buy stupid shit! This is a great post! Keep it up!!!

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ ‘Sheepy’ … I like that! lol. You’re right though, we gotta keep our numbers up against the loonies out there haha

Haha, I’m not sure. It would be funny to see them answer and get uncomfortable about it though ๐Ÿ™‚

7. We in the Midwest are glad to have someone else’s rest rooms be gossip fodder. Anyone remember this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Craig_scandal

Also glad to have the crazies protesting vs. filling out job applications I have to weed through. HA

I don’t understand why we have gender-segregated restrooms in the first place. Seems like THAT is the problem here, isn’t it?

Once the stall door is closed, do ya bidness and get the heck out. This is not the part of Target anyone is lingering in anyway.

Right? I had to read that wiki article because I had no idea what you were talking about. I’m left with so many questions. WHAT was he expecting/wanting to be put in his hand under the stall? Wait… don’t answer that. I also learned a new word ‘cottaging’ … never heard that before. I agree, though, once the door is closed… what does it matter? The real crime here is having such wide gaps in the stalls lol. If they made stalls better it would be a non-issue

8. And…..This is why i keep asking my pharmacist for Haldol in a spray can.

But seriously, transgendered people have been in existence forever and have, presumably, been using the restroom of their choice the entire time. And no one bothered about it. I so want to dress up like a man, go out and protest with them just long enough to gain their trust… And then flash my boobs at them.

And not for nothing, i know far too many of us who were raped or molested, but have never met one who has a transgendered person to blame for it.

Can I come with you? That sounds like it would be pretty fun and hilarious haha. I don’t get it either. How long has this been going on already? Focus on something more important.

Oh, I agree. Seems like some people purposely hunt down things to be hateful about. It’s quite annoying.

9. Look! I’ve found how to do it! But with reference to your post…I don’t get it…providing you leave the bathroom clean and tidy it shouldn’t matter. It’s not how you look on the outside, it’s what’s in your heart…

10. Had a conversation about this last night at a party. A friend’s crazy sister felt compelled to tell the cashier that this would be her last visit to Target because of their bathroom policy. You know, because the minimum wage earning cashier makes the rules and give two fucks about whether or not the fear-mongering weirdos shop there or not. Mostly the conversation turned in to a discussion on how Target ranks in the top 3 dirtiest store bathrooms with JCPenneys and Kohls as the leads. I pee…a lot. So my main interest is marking territory and getting the Hell out.

I always think it’s funny when people complain to 17-year-old employees about company policy as if they have a say or give a crap about it. It’s insane. I didn’t know know the top 3 dirtiest bathrooms haha. Interesting.

11. The bit likening the men’s room to vomit on a dead raccoon had me laughing til it hurt and reminded me of the porta-potties in Minnewaska State Park (an otherwise wonderful place in NY).

Yes, the crazies who wrap rotting dead raccoons in the flag are the real embarrassments to America.

Ew, porta potties are never a pleasure haha.Gross. Glad it made you laugh though ๐Ÿ™‚ THAT is an example of a terrible American. Do people actually do that? Wait… don’t confirm. It’s making me mad just thinking about it lol

1. Sort of hard to implement, though. Whose bathroom space will be cut to provide this extra bathroom? Some places have only unisex (they’re one-seaters). I’m fine with unisex one-seaters, but I doubt most establishments would welcome a regulation saying they had to provide a unisex bathroom if they don’t have one already.

It was just a funny photo I found on Google, I didn’t actually take the photo ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh, how I wish I did though lol

12. God I fucking hate that brain dead argument “Letting men into the bathroom”. These aren’t men, they’re women and you don’t give a flying fuck about protecting women and children because prior to these ridiculous bills and continuing after there has been nothing and still isn’t anything preventing men from entering the restrooms under false pretenses. If a person, regardless of gender, does something to another in the bathroom that person is a criminal. You don’t ban something just because someone MIGHT misuse it otherwise we wouldn’t have any fucking guns in this country. For the love of a tree this woman and others like her just want someone to hate so they can feel superior.

13. I am so sorry you had to endure that level of ignorance, and I absolutely loved your entry! Thanks for stopping by my page and allowing me to find yours!

What amazes me, is that everyone is raving about men being allowed into a female bathroom. With our young innocent daughters! Yet there is no mention that for the past however many years, men have been going into public bathrooms with our young innocent sons. Or that female predators have been allowed in female bathrooms. Let us just not bother talking about that.

Because all men are potential sexual predators, and only young girls who dress a certain way are assaulted.

Get a grip, World.

14. Why are people so surprised with the state of NC. Have they so soon forgotten the two words that most defined the national perception of the state for a long time? No, not Goober Pyle. I was going for Jesse Helms, but take your pick.

15. I was just thinking about this today. Don’t we have bigger things to worry about then who is using the bathroom? As long as they wipe the seat and don’t leave it up, who cares?

As someone commented above if someone does do something in the bathroom then that person is a criminal, but you don’t ban something because it could maybe, perhaps happen.
    I’m all for unisex bathrooms. It especially helps people with young children. The single dad out with his young daughter for example. I once questioned a man who was suspiciously lurking outside a woman’s bathroom. He explained that his young daughter had to go and he was worried. I went in and checked and no one was there so I told him to go on in and help her and I’d wait outside. This has to be difficult for dad’s out there. And I know my son hated when I had to drag him into the ladies room and was so happy when he could go by himself, but it was nerve wracking first letting him go by himself into those big multi-stalled bathrooms.

Let’s just have unisex/individual bathrooms and be done.

Agreeeeeeeed! It’s made out to be a lot more difficult than it should be. Unisex bathrooms. What’s the big deal? Also, close the gaps in the stalls! Makes everybody happier lol

16. I came to check out your blog to see if you were a real person (as I get so many fake followers which IS good for statistics but not so much for my bloggy ego) and not only found out that you ARE a real person, but that you’re a real funny person, too. In the best possible way.

So I clicked follow. Because who wants to work at work anyway!

(Go Target!)

17. Thanks for your like of my post, Rome wasn’t walked in a day. Walking in Europe, sometimes we are grateful for any toilet at all, Unisex or separate. I’m glad you brought some humor to the store. So many forget their sense of humor on the kitchen table.

Agreed. Humor makes everything a little better in my opinion ๐Ÿ™‚ Too many people are too serious all the time.